Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gets Me Every Time

There are sounds you grow up with. Sounds normal and familiar when home--the timer on the oven or microwave, the piano, the TV, the hum of the sewing machine, toilets flushing, power tools, bare feet running on the kitchen floor, a door slam, the neighbor's lawn mower, rain on the roof or windows, thunder storms, laughing, crying, singing, dogs barking, (have a headache yet?!) running water, a car pulling up, the garage door opener, the most scary noise--silence when there shouldn't be, the sounds my boys make--mostly loud, or my favorite--toy noises. Unique to our area are the Disneyland fireworks every night at 9:30. In Minnesota it was the bells of St. Mary's Hospital down the street. As a mom, my ears are often my first warning of trouble. I listen to everything.

There is one sound these days that stops me dead in my tracks every time. I completely question where I am. It's the sound of a horse.

Our neighborhood is zoned for horses. Many of our neighbors have them. The boys sneak carrots and apples out of the fridge to give to the neighbor's horse corralled just down our hill. I love that they can do this. I love that there's a horse trail from our house to their little country school (that happens to be in the middle of commercialized suburbia) perfect for bike riding too.

When I first saw this sign on the corner of our neighborhood I thought "Augh, how nice, horses. My Dad has a horse, maybe he can ride her over." Now that we've moved in, I'll be making dinner and it's like all of a sudden it sounds like Mr. Ed is at my door wanting to join us for our meal. Guess the neighbor's horse knows it's dinner time too?!

Never thought the horses would have me questioning where I am--while living back in my home town.

No comments: