After 3 sons, I wanted to do something new, fun and cute for my little caboose girl. She wasn't able to upgrade to a regular front facing chair until around 17 months (she is so petite) so I had plenty of planning time. I scoured online images for inspiration and read several car seat recover pins on Pinterest to gain insight. This was the best tutorial I found. The concept of using your current cover as a pattern, leaving it intact and just sewing straight over it was genius. Some sites say that taking apart the cover voids the warranty of the seat. I don't know if this is true, but surely keeping it intact couldn't void the warranty.
I found the perfect minky fabric pair at my favorite fabric super store. I was excited enough to get going on the project. It was a big project, so I needed the extra excitement. Fabric is the best project inspiration.
Here is the car seat my girlfriend gave me because she was moving, it was pretty worn and she had no desire to deal with it. It's a great car seat, just a little worn on the cover.
After several washings the old cover gave way at the seam and little hands, board in the car, emptied out all the fill, bit by bit.
I used some quilt batting scraps to fill it in and pinned it in place. Then I used a darning stitch to hold the edge of the fabric and the batting in place until the new cover was ready.
The tutorial worked out great. The taupe print hides the dirt between washings and the minky is so soft. She loves her throne and is excited every time we get into the car.
My husband didn't understand why I recovered the car seat, and even I wondered why I was spending the time during the project, but now that it is finished, I smile each time I see her in in. It made our Christmas road trip all that much better.

2 comments:
I love it, Jessica! You did an amazing job!
That is an awesome carseat and I'm sure other moms will be inspired and do the same for their little princess. You are very talented!
Post a Comment