Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Water

When you buy an old house you inherit all it's character and history. This includes old pipes. And in our case that's 60 year old galvanized metal pipes--the kind that rust from the inside out.



Would you like to drink water shipped hundreds of miles via aquaduct--open to the elements and animals, then treated with chlorine and chemicals, and then filtered in rust?


Yeah, us neither.

Just imagine what this one does to water pressure.

This last one was the cleanest pipe I saw coming out of our house, and it's still pretty gross.

Mike and my brother-in-law Aaron spent their free time over Christmas re-plumbing our house. All new pipes from the water main to each faucet in the kitchen and bathrooms. They also installed a uber fancy filtration system that cleans out all the harsh chemicals and overabundant minerals in our water. This makes it taste less like dirt and chlorine. We opted for the filtration system over a water softener. I just didn't like the idea of adding more of anything to our water. The filtration system is no maintance, has a 10 year warranty and you can drink the water--it's filters both hot and cold water. I can wash my darks on cold and they aren't crusty anymore.


I can now drink water straight from my tap without wanting to spit it out. (It's even better from the fridge--another filter there.) And I won't take that for granted ever again.

2 comments:

Mari said...

SOOO cool about your whole-house filter and new pipes!! SOOOO nasty what you got rid of!!

Suebee said...

We had pipes like that in Rhode Island. So messy and gross. Just finished catching up with your blog. Love it all. Miss you sweet sister.